Wednesday, August 29, 2012

He DIDN'T Just Say That, Did He?

Today I witnessed something so offensive, so utterly appalling, that I can barely write about it because I'm still so angry.  I will not name the institution nor the "guest" speaker, but at a college assembly, all present were treated to a tirade that can only be called "hate talk."

This outside, invited speaker, Bible in hand the entire time, railed for about twenty minutes or so about Christianity and the teachings of Jesus Christ as being "the one true religion" and that all other religious beliefs are "bull" unworthy of the respect of people in a "Christian" institution.  Let me explain that these "family assemblies" are mandatory for all faculty, staff, and students and that the college, though a "Christian-based" private institution, has as part of its MISSION STATEMENT that it accommodates students "from all ethnic backgrounds."  Let me also say that I personally have never before encountered any bigoted behavior (religious, racial or otherwise) by members of this institution.

Almost immediately after greeting the audience, the speaker, dressed in jeans and a button-down sports shirt, directed his attention specifically to the faculty, whom he compared to the Philistines, and cautioned that ALL teaching should be Bible based.  It was at about that point that the first faculty member walked out of the auditorium.  The speaker did not, specifically, refer to those of the Jewish faith, but heavily emphasized the sole legitimacy of Jesus Christ's teachings, so the inference was clear.  He did, however, specifically refer to the Muslims when he began speaking about the "meaning" (according to him) behind the Marines' Anthem and to what the term "leathernecks" refers.  He then referred to a specific event (in this country) at which a Muslim group wanted its teachings represented and told the assembly that Muslims need to "assimilate" to the Christianity on which our country was founded or they can "get out."  By this time, perhaps half a dozen faculty members had walked out.  I should mention here that this college has Muslims, Hindus, and other non-Christians as part of its faculty, staff, and student body, though an offense to any of us is an offense to all of us, and by "us" I mean people.

At one point, the speaker had the nerve to refer to Martin Luther King, whose name NEVER should have been associated with this kind of divisive, intolerant ignorance, and standing there, waving his Bible in the air, he declared "Thank God for Martin Luther King."  By then, I was so shocked and traumatized by the experience that I actually missed the specific reason this hate-monger was thanking God for this great man in our history, who preached tolerance and unity - concepts this speaker clearly does not embrace.

When the speaker turned his attention to the homosexual community, I decided I'd had enough and joined the others who had already departed the auditorium.  I heard from a few who remained that he also spoke out about feminism ("It's God the Father, not God the Mother") and mentioned Hitler.  Unfortunately, when I tried to pin anyone down about precisely how he referred to Hitler, I was told that they honestly could not remember details because they had already mentally "shut down."

Overall, about a dozen or so faculty / staff members walked out of the assembly, and though everyone with whom I've since spoken is angry and offended by the verbal assault we all endured, I'm ashamed that MORE faculty / staff and students did not walk out.  I'm MORE ashamed, however, that the administration did not pull this speaker off the stage as soon as it became clear (about two minutes into his spiel) that his words were not only detrimental to the general mood of the first family assembly of the school year, but potentially volatile to young minds easily influenced to hate crimes and violent action towards others who are "different."  This man should NEVER be invited to speak at any assembly of young people, especially at an institution of LEARNING that professes to embrace all races and cultures. Granted, the college's president was not in attendance, and I would like to think that, had he been present, he would NOT have let this misguided individual spew his hatred and intolerance until it reached its end, but I guess we'll never know.  SOMEONE in power should have intervened.  The lame back-peddling that occurred once the speaker wound down and took his seat was too little, too late.  By then, the damage had already been done.  What a sad and disgusting display for ALL of us, but especially for the new faculty and the in-coming freshman to have witnessed. 

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd check out your blog....Good topic, and here's to your success as a writer♫♪
    My blog is http://lmkazmierczak.blogspot.com/ and I have a duplicate blog on Wordpress because I liked the widgets there~but find more success on blogspot

    ReplyDelete